UPPER WEST SIDE, NY – A new affordable sushi bar Omakase, a closed 7-Eleven location and a neighborhood storefront that loses a chocolate shop but would also be replaced by a chocolate shop are among the latest openings and closures on the Upper West Side .
Sushi W recently had its grand opening at the corner of Broadway and West 101st Street, a 7-Eleven on Columbus Avenue and West 89th Street had its last day of opening on Tuesday, and the popular chocolate store Jacques Torres on Amsterdam Avenue and West 74th Street will close in February.
Here are the new Upper West Side openings and closings we heard about this week:
Sushi W: 2673 Broadway (West 101st Street)
- Sushi W had its grand opening on Saturday. It will only serve dinners from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. until mid-January, before extending its hours.
- The restaurant exclusively offers one-hour Omakase-style courses.
- “We are working to revolutionize the way people experience and enjoy authentic Omakase-style sushi at an affordable price,” reads a section of its website.
- Basic Omakase (Lunch & Dinner) – $48, Premium Omakase (Lunch & Dinner) – $63, Lunch Omakase – $33
7-Eleven: 600 Columbus Avenue (West 89th Street)
- The 7-Eleven location will have its last day on Tuesday, according to I love the UpperWestSide.
- Only one 7-Eleven remains on the Upper West Side at 801 Amsterdam Avenue (between West 99th and 100th Streets).
- An employee at the closing location said ILoveTheUpperWestSide that shoplifting and armed robbery played a role in its closure.
- READ MORE
Jacques Torres Chocolate Factory: 285 Amsterdam Avenue
- The popular Upper West Side chocolate factory will close at the end of February when its lease expires, the WestSideRag reports.
- Jacques Torres Chocolates has been at the address for 15 years.
- Upper West Side institutions such as Zabars and Citarella will continue to offer Jacques Torres Chocolate products.
- A source told the WestSideRag that the address will be taken over by William Greenberg Desserts, which has a flagship bakery on Madison Avenue.
- READ MORE