Intel direct from our handpicked healthcare team of bestselling authors, entrepreneurs and sane celebrities who are leading and disrupting the wellness scene.
If you are a chocolate lover, there are few desserts better than chocolate cake. The soft fondant cake, the rich chocolate frosting … heaven on a plate. However, classic cakes are made with lots of butter and eggs, which isn’t a bad thing in and of itself, but definitely makes this class of dessert off-limits to vegan eaters. But you can be plant-based and eat your cake too, thanks to this delicious vegan chocolate cake recipe from head and member of the Well + Good Council Candice Kumai. Some ingredients may surprise: grated beets? attorney ? – but they help create a delicious, chocolatey, nutrient-dense cake that everyone will love to eat. Serve with a glass of cold alternative milk or a scoop of non-dairy ice cream for the ultimate dessert.
This incredibly chewy, decadent-looking cake is made with two healthy, secret ingredients: avocados and beets. Avocados are high in healthy fats, fiber, potassium, and vitamin B6. Beets are a good source of potassium, fiber, and vitamin B6, and they add a natural sweetness and moisture to this cake. You won’t be able to tell the difference!
Vegan dark chocolate avocado and beet cake
For 12 people
1 3/4 cups gluten-free 1-to-1 baking flour (such as Bob’s Red Mill)
1/2 cup almond flour
3/4 cup unsweetened black Dutch cocoa powder (Dutch cocoa powder will give you the best results!)
1 teaspoon of aluminum-free baking powder
1 very ripe avocado, ripe, finely crushed
1/2 cup finely grated beets (loosely packed)
3/4 cup granulated coconut sugar
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons unrefined coconut oil, melted
1 teaspoon of organic vanilla extract
1 cup of water
1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon of baking soda
2 tablespoons of powdered sugar to sprinkle the top of the cake
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut a round base out of baking paper for the bottom of your cake pan (s). Grease an 8-inch cake pan with coconut oil or cooking spray, add your round of parchment inside and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, ground almonds, cocoa powder and baking powder.
3. In a separate large bowl, whisk together the mashed avocado with a fork (make sure there are no lumps), add the grated beets and sugar. Slowly stir in the coconut oil and vanilla extract to combine. Add your water, whisk to mix well.
4. Using a spatula, slowly incorporate the flour mixture into the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined. The dough will look like a very thick brownie dough.
5. In a small bowl, combine the baking soda and apple cider vinegar and sparkle! Fold into thick cake batter. Mix well to combine
6- Using a rubber spatula, add the cake batter to the prepared 8 inch cake pan, distribute evenly in the pan using the rubber spatula. Place the pan on the middle rack of the oven for about 22 to 24 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
7- For the filling: Add 2 tablespoons of icing sugar in a mesh sieve and sprinkle the top of the cake! To enjoy with a cup of tea and a party with friends!
Our editors independently select these products. Making a purchase through our links can earn a Well + Good commission.