FChocolate cakes without bread save you the usual headaches associated with baking, including worrying about whether it will increase or not.
The red raspberry sauce hits the black cake and its acidity cuts off the richness of the chocolate. Look for high quality chocolate, preferably 70 percent cocoa solids. The cake keeps well in the fridge.
Preparation time: 20 minutes | Cooking time: 1 hour 15 minutes
A 23 cm cake
- 340 g dark chocolate, preferably 70% sweet and sour, chopped
- 225g unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 300g of sugar
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- 275g fresh raspberries (or you can use 325g strawberries or 290g blueberries)
- Preheat the oven to 175C / 155C hot air / Gas 3½. Spray 23 cm springform pan with cooking spray, then wrap outside of pan in foil to seal; this will protect it from leaks in the water bath.
- Place chocolate and butter in a large microwave-safe bowl and heat on high in 30 second increments until completely melted – about a minute and a half in total – then mix well. Let the mixture cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 250 g of the sugar and the eggs until blended. Very slowly pour in the chocolate-butter mixture, whisking until a homogeneous mixture is obtained.
- Pour the dough into the springform pan and place it in an ovenproof dish that can accommodate it with at least 5 cm on all sides. Add enough very hot water to the dish 2½ cm from the sides of the springform pan. Carefully transfer to the oven and bake for 75 minutes, or until the cake appears dry on top.
- Meanwhile, prepare the raspberry sauce: add the raspberries (or whatever fruit you use) and the remaining 50g of sugar in a food processor and blend for 30 seconds, or until smooth. Filter the sauce through a fine colander to remove the seeds. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Remove springform pan from double boiler and let cool completely.
- Once the cake has cooled, peel off the hinged ring and serve with the raspberry sauce.
Dinner Then Dessert Recipe: Satisfying Meal Using Just 3, 5 or 7 Ingredients, by Sabrina Snyder (Harper Design, £ 25). Order your copy from books.telegraph.co.uk