Yasmin Gutierrez – Partner and Executive Pastry Chef
Locations in River North, Streeterville, Fulton Market and Oak Brook
Beatrix – North River
519 N. Clark Street, Chicago, IL 60654
Beatrix – Streeterville
671 N. St. Clair St, Chicago, IL 60611
Beatrix – Fulton Market
834 W. Fulton Market, Chicago, IL 60607
Beatrix – Oak Brook
272 Oakbrook Center, Oak Brook, IL 60523
- In addition to the gluten-free Tall, Dark & Handsome Chocolate Cake, another great National Pie Day dessert is the Oh My! Beatrix’s Caramel Pie. In fact, you can enjoy a slice at your nearest Beatrix location for just $3.14 on Monday, March 14.and.
- Full size Oh my God! Caramel Pies can be ordered and shipped nationwide via Tastes Of Chicago (with free shipping now included!) Website: https://www.tastesofchicago.com/category/beatrix-oh-my-caramel-pie
- You can also order full pies and cakes directly from Beatrix during the holidays in case you find yourself in charge of dessert.
BIG, DARK AND BEAUTIFUL CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE
Makes one (1) 8 inch cake
OUTSIDE CAKE LAYER DOUGH
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate
1 stick unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon of salt
6 large eggs
¾ cup granulated sugar
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate
¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoons granulated sugar
0.5 grams of Kappa carrageenan (optional!)
To prepare the outer cake layer:
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- Melt the semi-sweet chocolate, butter, vanilla and salt in a bain-marie. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Separate the egg yolks into a medium mixing bowl and the egg whites into the bowl of a stand mixer (or large mixing bowl).
- Whisk the egg yolks and half of the caster sugar until the mixture becomes pale yellow and thick. Put aside.
- Whip the egg whites on low speed (or use a hand mixer to whip) until they form soft peaks. Slowly add remaining sugar until medium peaks form.
- When the chocolate mixture has cooled slightly, add 2 tablespoons of the egg yolk mixture to the chocolate mixture, whisking to combine. Add chocolate mixture to remaining yolks, whisking until smooth.
- Fold the mixture several times with a rubber spatula, then add the whipped egg whites and continue folding until incorporated.
- Immediately pour into a lightly greased 8-inch cheesecake pan. Bake for 45 minutes. Turn the pan and bake for another 15 minutes. The cake will rise in height and then collapse slightly.
- Let the cake cool to room temperature.
To prepare the filling:
- In a small bowl, combine the granulated sugar and kappa carrageenan and set aside.
- Add the heavy cream, semi-sweet chocolate and vanilla to a saucepan. Bring to a boil and stir all the time to avoid burning the chocolate.
- Whisk in the sugar and kappa carrageenan mixture and continue to whisk for one minute while the mixture continues to simmer.
- Immediately pour the mixture through a strainer and into the outer cake later, until it rests ½ inch from the top.
- Let the cake come to room temperature, then refrigerate until sliced and served.
Suggest a fix