german chocolate cake
Proposed by: Mariah Sattler from Berlin, Ohio
Ingredients for the cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 C. salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 C. instant espresso powder (optional, but recommended)
Ingredients for the icing:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 3 large egg yolks, at room temperature and lightly beaten
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 C. pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- CAKE: Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray two 9-inch cake pans with nonstick cooking spray, line the bottom of each pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk together the granulated sugar and brown sugar, then add the oil, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla extract and mix until just combined.
- Add the instant espresso powder to the cup of boiling water and stir until completely dissolved. Add to mixing bowl and mix until just combined (batter will be very thin).
- Divide the batter evenly between the two cake pans. Bake for 28 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean and the top springs back when lightly touched.
- Remove from oven and transfer to wire rack to cool in pans for 30 minutes. Run a knife around the outside of each cake layer in the pan, then carefully remove the cakes from the pans and place them on the wire rack to cool completely.
- GLAZING: Add granulated sugar, evaporated milk and egg yolks to a large saucepan and whisk until completely blended. Cut the butter into small pieces and add it to the pan. Place over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the butter melts completely. Continue cooking and stirring constantly for another 8 to 12 minutes or until the mixture begins to boil and thicken.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the sweetened shredded coconut and chopped pecans, then stir in the vanilla extract. Transfer to a heatproof container and let cool completely.
- Once the cakes have cooled, level the top of each cake by cutting off the raised parts.
- Place one layer of cake on a cake stand or large serving platter and cover with half of the frosting. Spread the frosting in an even layer on top of the cake layer.
- Place the second layer of cake on top of the frosting, add the remaining frosting on top and spread it into an even layer.
STAY INFORMED. REGISTER!
All agricultural news in your inbox!