This cake contains not one but TWO mysterious ingredients, which your friends will not be able to guess. It’s a great dessert to bring to work because it sparks conversation as well as appetites!
- 2/3 cups of butter
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1-1/2 cups strained all-purpose flow
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons of yeast
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup mashed green tomatoes
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of coffee
- 8 ounces of cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 cups icing sugar
- grated zest of a large orange
- freshly squeezed orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together. Stir in the chocolate, then the eggs, one at a time. Add the vanilla extract. In another large bowl, sift together cocoa, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with beer and tomatoes. If the dough seems firm, add the coffee. Pour the batter into a greased and floured 9×13 inch pan. Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the cake on a wire rack, then invert it onto a serving platter. Can be served plain or glazed with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting.
- Orange Cream Cheese Frosting: Mix cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add the icing sugar. Stir in the grated orange zest. Add orange juice one or two tablespoons at a time, until it reaches a spreadable consistency.