This indulgent layer cake is packed with antioxidants, so get started!
The idea for this recipe was inspired by the one I saw on the cover of Bon Appetit magazine. I was struck by the beauty of the bright green matcha sifted over a silky dark chocolate ganache. Matcha powder dissolves fairly quickly, so serve as soon as you’ve done the dusting.
Matcha dark chocolate cake
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time : 30 mins
Ready in: 2 hours
* Recipe: Vegan Dark Chocolate Cherry Cakes from Jordan Rondel
* Recipe: Dark chocolate cake, mulled wine and blackberry
* Recipe: Chocolate, Plum and Macadamia Cake from Jordan Rondel
For the cake
150g softened butter
150g caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 free-range eggs
150 g all-purpose white or spelled flour
50g ground almonds
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons matcha powder
1⁄2 cup whole milk
60g dark chocolate chips (70% cocoa)
For the ganache
3/4 cup cream
190g dark chocolate buttons (70% cocoa)
For the decoration:
1 tbsp matcha powder for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180°C in convection. Line two 22cm cake tins with baking paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until pale, light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract then the eggs, one at a time, beating between each addition. Gradually add the flour, ground almonds, baking powder and matcha powder. Mix until just incorporated. Then add the milk and then the chocolate chips. Stop your electric mixer once all the ingredients are mixed. Be careful not to overmix.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two pans and spread it on the sides.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown, springy to the touch, and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool for about 10 minutes before inverting them onto a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, prepare the ganache. Gently heat the cream in a saucepan until small bubbles start to appear on the surface. Remove from the heat and add the chocolate buttons. Stir until they are all melted. The ganache should be thick, smooth and shiny. Refrigerate for 15 minutes to allow it to set a bit.
- Once the cakes have cooled, spread some ganache on one cake and place the other on top. Finish with the remaining ganache.
- Put the cake in the fridge to allow the ganache to solidify, and once firm, take out and sprinkle with matcha powder.
- Serve at room temperature. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.